My Sherpa is now outfitted and configured just the way I want him, so time for some initial photos. More to follow showing him loaded and adventuring.
He is a 560s; outfitted as detailed below. With the GPS and underseat bag but no bottles, he weighs 40.6lbs/18.4kg on my digital luggage scale. Weight is about what I figured, and roughly 7lbs/3.2kg more than the similarly-configured, much lighter-duty 700C Miyata 1000LT he replaces. There is about that same difference between the Sherpa and my 700C 1983/84 Centurion Pro Tour 15 lighter touring/rando bike. Sherpa weighs what I expected, given his intended use -- carrying gear, 6.5-16.5 liters of water and food enough for extended 3-season self-supported solo transits of desert and mountain regions with temps ranging from very cold to very hot with clothing, bag, and tent to match. Much of his weight is due to my deliberate selection of heavy-duty, durable and reliable kit and the need for good lighting and on-board battery recharging. So far, he has proven to be a comfortable and surprisingly fast day-rider as well.
The handlebar-tops are level with the saddle-top, despite how it looks in the photos. These photos show the bare bike; later photos will show him loaded with bags and bottles. When desert playa-dust gets wet, it concretizes; the plugs and covers on all allen fittings ensure they will remain serviceable. Same for the crankarm plugs.
For those who have asked, the original specs and changes I have made appear below.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sherpa ordered as follows:
- Thorn Sherpa Option 1 SJSC Drop Bar Special, 560S model, stealth black, uncut steerer.
- Kalloy Uno AS-009 +17 degree 3D forged alloy stem, black 110mm
- Zoom anatomic drop handlebars, black 440mm
- Zoom microadjust long-layback seatpost, black 27.2x400mm
- Deore drivetrain: M590 crankset 44/32/22 170mm (32/22=steel rings), Deore H50 9-sp 11-32 cassette, Deore BR-M590 v-brakes, Deore M590 QR rear hub (all black), Deore M591 F(black)/R(silver/black) derailleurs, Dura-Ace SL-BS77 bar-end shifters, LX/105 HG73 chain, grey 114 links (112 used).
- Schwalbe Marathon Dureme HS410 26x2.0 rigid tires, SV13 presta tubes
- Rigida Andra (non-CSS) rims, presta drilling
- Tektro RL520 Aero V brake levers
- Thorn Accessory 105mm T-bar
- Brooks B.17 leather saddle, black w/black steel rails
- 6 spare DT 14g spokes, silver, 2@255mm, 2@259mm, 2@260mm
- Schmidt SON28 dynamo bolt-on front hub (black)
- SKS Chromoplastic 26" mudguards, 55mm black
- M:Part carbon fiber chainstay protector
- Extra spacers to replace T-bar if desired
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ACCESSORIES, CHANGES (as pictured):
- 44t Deore Mega 9 44t alloy chainring (new, black); original becomes spare.
- Shimano Deore Shadow RD-M592 SGS 9-sp rear derailleur (black).
- NOS Zefal HPX2 pump in black.
- Click-Stand w/ 1pr bands and mount and (1pr) extra bands.
- Planet Bike fender stays and hardware (10mm nylock nuts & drawbolts, caps) - adjustable for extra clearance in mud, wet playa.
- Kool-Stop salmon cartridge brake pads.
- Tektro 740 "interrupter" brake levers (black w/red QR).
- Stainless steel pedal washers.
- Avenir compass bell
- (2) Zefal Magnum 1liter water bottle(s), black with red tops 33oz
- SRAM Powerlink - 9-Speed
- JandD saddle cover @ LBS, Dan-modified and stored in found vinyl earbud stuffsack attached to saddle rails.
- BBG Bicycle Bash Guard in black with oval holes to fit 44T 104BCD ring; mounted reversed so holes go the right direction.
- Stronglight Escapade chainring bolt, sleeve nut, spacer set, Thorn sleeve nuts for chainguard.
- (4) 0.6mm Chainring sleeve bolt spacers by Wheels Mfg.
- Ortlieb Medium Saddle bag
------ - Contents of Ortlieb underseat bag:
-Schwalbe SV13 tube
-Crank Bros 2-stage mini-pump (backup to Zefal HPX2 for remote tours)
-Zefal TwinGraph presta/schrader manometer
-PerformanceBike Spin Doctor 21 multitool with tire levers, chain tool
-(2) Bell glueless patch kits
-Rema Top Touring Large glued patch kit
-(2pr) Nitrile gloves
-Phil Tenacious or Tri-Flow oil repackaged in 1oz bottle in small Ziploc bag
- Pkg. (20) Futaba R/C rubber grommets for light wire routing through rear fender.
- Dean's R/C MicroPlug low-resistance gold-plated connector 2NB, P/N 1002/1225 for taillight wire connector
- Assorted zip-ties to route light, charging wires.
- Heat-shrink tubing sleeves to cover exposed brake and derailleur cables; push back for lubing.
- (1) 3/4", (1) 1" plastic plugs for crank spindle.
- Additional 3mm headset spacer for clearance of The Plug 2 connector
- Shimano CS-HG50 9-sp cassette 11-34
- Bike Alarm
- Lithium 9-volt battery for Bike Alarm
- Garmin Bicycle GPS mount
- Presta-to-Schrader valve adapter with gasket & alloy Schrader cap on valve stem (black/black)
- Various plugs and caps of vinyl/synthetic rubber (black) to prevent playa accumulation in sockets.
- Trim-Brite Matte Black Window Trim Tape for anti-chafe patches on head tube, top tube.
- Longer SS bolts and flat washers and nylock jam nuts for racks, heads turned and polished in drill press.
- LocTite Blue #242 thread-lock compound.
- Buddy Flaps 3mm thick vinyl mudflaps (used only front), plain black, no logo.
- Transferred front fender "kicker-flap" to rear fender
- ADVrider "ADV" club oval for rear fender "kicker-flap"
- ADVrider club "Ride the World" motto, black Scotchlite sticker, rear fender
- Removed wheel reflectors
- SunTour Superbe Pro Quill Road Pedals, sealed roller/conrad cartridge bearings (NOS on hand already)
- CatEye Nylon Toe Clips, size LL, black (transferred from Miyata 1000LT)
- CatEye Nylon webbing Toe Straps, black (transferred from Miyata 1000LT)
- (2) CatEye Nylon Bottle Cages, black (transferred from Miyata 1000LT)
- (3) Blackburn Bomber 1.5l Water Bottle Cages, black/red (had on hand already)
- Sky Mounti inclinometer (transferred from Miyata 1000LT)
- CueClip Cue Sheet Holder, black (transferred from Miyata 1000LT)
- Evans 52840 glass-filled nylon composite/stainless insert stem-mount bottle opener (black), custom-threaded/milled stainless stem bolt
- PlanetBike Protege 9.0 bike computer, clear (had on hand already)
- PDW Radbot 1000 LED battery taillight (transferred from Miyata 1000LT)
- Thorn Mark V Low-Loader cr-mo steel front pannier racks (transferred from Miyata 1000LT)
- Surly Nice Rack Rear rack, black, with color-matched black heat-shrink tubing on extension fittings (transferred from Miyata 1000LT).
- Kryptonite Evo 2000 U-Lock (had on hand already)
- Custom made lightweight vinyl-covered aircraft cable for locking front wheel (had on hand already)
- (2) Campagnolo Shift Lever Covers, black rubber (transferred from Miyata 1000LT)
- Purchased from Peter White Cycles:
- B&M HL Lumotec IQ Cyo R Senso Plus nearfield LED headlight
- B&M Toplight Line Plus LED taillight
- B&M steel taillight mount for Single hole
- Schmidt part 4.8mm connector (6) spares
- Tout Terrain The Plug 2, Tout Terrain Expander for The Plug, (6) Schmidt part mm piggyback connectors.
- Garmin Oregon 400T GPS with base topo, US Cities, EU cities and topo, BENELUX cities & topo, NL bike routes 8GB Micro SD Card with spare, hand-strap, screen cover, lithium batteries (all transferred from Miyata 1000LT), custom charging connector for TTTPlug2.